Expanded Hours

We're now Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination is required. Learn more >

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 9 3/4 x 6 1/2 in. ( 24.8 x 16.5 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: woman standing and holding tray, with open pantry in the background and small brown dog and foot stool with sewing basket on top in the foreground.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794o
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Charlotte. / Brush."
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23166
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 8 7/8 x 7 3/8 in. ( 22.5 x 18.7 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: seated man wearing dressing gown and smoking, with newspaper unfolded in his lap and library bookcase in the background.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794m
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Edgar"
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23164
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 1/2 x 4 in. ( 16.5 x 10.2 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: woman seated on red bench mixing liquid in large brown bowl held in her lap, with pantry shelves in the background and small black cat lying on the floor in the foreground.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794k
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Emelia." written: in pencil on reverse: "Flash" and "L.W."
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23161
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7 x 5 1/4 in. ( 17.8 x 13.3 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: woman with candleholder with lighted candle in hand going down stairs, with bed in the background.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794j
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Annie."
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23123
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 x 5 in. ( 15.2 x 12.7 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: standing woman arranging cups, plates and serving dishes on small round table.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794i
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Ida."
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23121
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 1/2 x 4 3/8 in. ( 16.5 x 11.1 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: standing woman looking down upon small child and kitten in front of her.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794h
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Ninetta / Eugenia."
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23120
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 3/8 x 4 7/8 in. ( 16.2 x 12.4 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: women seated in armchair with her knitting on her lap and a blue ball of yarn on the floor.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794g
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Mrs. Mitchell."
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23119
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7 7/8 x 6 5/8 in. ( 20 x 16.8 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: young women seated and carding wool, with a basket of wool at her feet and a black dog lying at her side.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794f
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Mary Ann. / Tartan. "
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23118
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 1/4 x 7 3/8 in. ( 15.9 x 18.7 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: young woman playing a harp.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794d
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Ethel"
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23113
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1880
Medium: 
Ceramic, textile, leather, glass, metal, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 24 x 10 x 4 in. ( 61 x 25.4 x 10.2 cm )
Description: 
Boy doll with glazed porcelain shoulder head, black molded hair, blue painted eyes, closed mouth, and red tinted cheeks; stuffed cloth body with divided stuffed kid arm and separate fingers, and divided leg with brown leather boots buttoned up side; printed jacket with skirt gathered at waist over pin-striped shirt with buttons and cream-colored pants, and knee socks.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1224
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1880
eMuseum Object ID: 
23066
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Creative: Tronvig Group