Figured flask

Classification: 
Date: 
1850-1870
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7 1/4 x 4 1/2 x 2 in. ( 18.4 x 11.4 x 5.1 cm )
Description: 
Amber-green non-lead glass figured flask blown in a full-sized, two-part mold (McKearin GX-27); flask has a hand-tooled flared cylindrical neck, rounded shoulders, and a rectangular embossed with the American flag with thirteen stars on the obverse, and the inscription "NEW GRANITE GLASS WORKS STODDARD NH" on the obverse, with a flat bottom with a pontil mark.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1331
Marks: 
embossed: on reverse "NEW GRANITE GLASS WORKS/ STODDARD/ NH"
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1870
eMuseum Object ID: 
23506
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Figured flask

Classification: 
Date: 
1815-1830
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 x 3 x 2 in. ( 15.2 x 7.6 x 5.1 cm )
Description: 
Green non-lead glass figured flask blown in a full-sized two-part mold (McKearin GVII-16) with hand-tooled finish; short cylindrical neck with flaired lip, rounded shoulders, and a trapazoidal body molded with a twenty-one ray sunburst on the front and back with nineteen ridges on each side; base shows horizontal mold seam and suspiciously faint pontil mark.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1040
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1830
eMuseum Object ID: 
23498
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Bottle

Classification: 
Date: 
1770-1830
Medium: 
Glass, pewter
Dimensions: 
Overall: 8 1/2 x 3 1/2 in. ( 21.6 x 8.9 cm )
Description: 
Blue, non-lead blown glass bottle pattern-molded in a dip mold with sixteen ribs and twisted and pinched in the center; bottle has a pewter collar and a compressed spherical body with a ridge around the shoulders formed by a second gather of glass, circular base has a push-up and pontil mark.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1041
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1830
eMuseum Object ID: 
23462
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Medicine bottle

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/4 in. ( 25.4 x 10.8 x 5.7 cm )
Description: 
Cobalt blue non-lead glass figured bottle blown in a three-part mold with hand-tooled finish; cylindrical neck with down-tooled lip, double-ogee rounded shoulders embossed with winged heads front and back, rectangular body with concave chamfered corners embossed front and back with medical caduceus (staff with two entwined serpents) flanked by elongated urns with foliate decoration; flat rectangular base with concave chamfered corners with pontil mark.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1663
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
23422
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Bottle

Classification: 
Date: 
1820-1880
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 9 5/8 x 2 1/2 in. ( 24.4 x 6.4 cm )
Description: 
Amethyst purple manganese glass bottle; bottle blown in a dip mold with a tall cylindrical neck with a rounded lip, rounded shoulders, and a tall straight-sided body with a flat base and pontil mark.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1053
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1880
eMuseum Object ID: 
22382
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Bottle w/label: Osgood's India Cholagogue New York

Classification: 
Date: 
1840-1860
Medium: 
Glass, paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5 1/2 x 2 3/8 x 1 1/2 in. ( 14 x 6 x 3.8 cm )
Description: 
Glass medicine bottle with green tint, blown in a two-part mold, with down-tooled lip, bulged neck, rounded shoulder, rectangular body with flat chamfers, paper label affixed to bottle, and lengthwise inscription "INDIA CHOLAGOGUE"; cut base; traces of matter at corners of bottle.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1694
Marks: 
signed: in ink on bottom of paper label affixed to bottle: "Charles Osgood M[d]" pressed: on obverse of bottle: "INDIA/CHOLAGOGUE" pressed: on side of bottle: "OSGOOD'S" pressed: on other side of bottle: "NEW YORK" printed: on paper label affixed to b
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
18620
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Kerosene lamp

Classification: 
Date: 
1860-1900
Medium: 
Glass, metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 8 1/4 x 3 in. ( 21 x 7.6 cm )
Description: 
Blue glass kerosene lamp with short cylindrical body and applied loop handle blown in a multi-part mold with a brass kerosene wick holder and colorless glass hurricane shade.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1518ab
Marks: 
printed: on shade: "TRADEMARK/ ACME/ LEAD FLINT" carved: in low relief on wick adjuster: "STELLAR/ E.M. & Co"
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1900
eMuseum Object ID: 
4923
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Bottle: J. Milhau Chemist New York

Classification: 
Date: 
1860-1880
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 1/2 x 3 x 2 in. ( 26.7 x 7.6 x 5.1 cm )
Description: 
Pale violet glass bottle blown in a full-sized, two-part mold with a hand-tooled finish; bottle is rectangular with inset panels and flat chamfered corners embossed with "J. MILHAU," "CHEMIST," and "NEW YORK;" the flat, rectangular base has a mold seam running diagonally.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1661
Marks: 
embossed: on three sides; "J. MILHAU/ CHEMIST/ NEW YORK"
Gallery Label: 
J. Milhau was a chemist located at 183 Broadway in New York circa 1860 to 1886.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1880
eMuseum Object ID: 
3436
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Bottle: Brant's Indian Balsam

Classification: 
Date: 
1850-1880
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7 x 2 1/2 in. ( 17.8 x 6.4 cm )
Description: 
Aquamarine blown three-mold glass medicine bottle with down-tooled collar, scoop neck, octagonal body with "BRANDTS INDIAN BALSAM" inscribed lengthwise, push-up, and rough pontil mark.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1681
Marks: 
relief: on three contiguous vertical panels: "BRANDTS/ INDIAN/ BALSAM"
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1880
eMuseum Object ID: 
3365
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Paper doll

Classification: 
Date: 
1830-1860
Medium: 
Paper, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 1/2 x 4 5/8 in. ( 16.5 x 11.7 cm )
Description: 
Painted cut-out paper figure: standing woman holding bird cage with three yellow birds in outstretched hand.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
1937.1794p
Marks: 
written: in ink on reverse: "Azubah."
Gallery Label: 
Portraying mostly women and children as they perform domestic tasks (sewing, cooking, harvesting, or teaching/learning) and leisure activities (reading, writing letters, painting, or playing music), these richly decorated, hand-painted paper dolls present a broad view of mid-nineteenth-century daily life. The mass commercial appeal of paper dolls arose around 1850 when these dolls began to appear in popular periodicals; however, homemade, hand-painted dolls had been circulating long beforehand. These dolls belong to a larger set of 85 figures, which were crafted around 1855 for a young girl in the Canadian town of Drummondville outside Quebec City, as indicated by an inscription on the reverse of one doll in the set and by a November 1924 article in Harper's Magazine featuring a descendent of the original owner, Ms. Lenox E. Chase. While it is unclear who painted these dolls, and while they may have been produced over an extended period of time given variations in the stock and coloration of the paper, all of the dolls seem to have been crafted by the same artist and each one includes its own unique name, written on the verso by the same hand each time. Genealogical records suggest that the dolls originally belonged to the Sutherland family, a Canadian family of British descent who had arrived in the English-Canadian town of Drummondville by the 1840's, and the dolls eventually would have been passed down to Ms. Chase, from whom Elie Nadelman likely acquired the set for his Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
44755
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Creative: Tronvig Group