Works at McGown's Pass, New York City
Watercolor, graphite, black ink, and touches of gouache on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.15)
Overall: 9 3/4 x 24 in. ( 24.8 x 61 cm )
inscription: upper center, ink: "Works at McGowan's [sic] Pass"
Inscribed above image in brown ink: "Works at McGowan's [sic] Pass."
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected in upper Manhattan. This view shows the exterior face of the fortifications at McGown's Pass. Fort Clinton is at the left, Nutter's Battery at the right, and the Barrier Gate and blockhouse in the center. Nutter's Battery apparently derived its name from Valentine Nutter, whose house stood nearby.
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.