Wooden end of hammock netting w/Liberty Cap carved in center from "Niagara"
ca. 1813 or 1913
Wood, metal, paint
Overall: 19 1/2 x 12 5/8 x 3 in. ( 49.5 x 32.1 x 7.6 cm )
carved: on lower edge of cap: "LIBERTY" etched: on brass plate: "6"
Wooden end of hammock netting enclosure from the brig "Niagara," which figured prominently in the Battle of Lake Erie; irregularly-shaped slab of wood with rounded top, sides that curve slightly inward, and painted strip of sheet metal nailed to edge; Liberty cap within a shield hand-carved and painted on obverse; small, square brass plate inscribed with number "6" nailed near top of cap.
On September 10, 1813, Commodore Oliver H. Perry led his fleet to victory in the Battle of Lake Erie from the decks of the "Niagara." According to the accession records, this and other relics from the "Niagara" were given to the donor by Capt. William L. Morrison of Erie, Pennsylvania, who was in charge of raising the brig from the bottom of Lake Erie and reconstructing her in 1913 for the Perry Centennial Celebration. It has been suggested that this "relic" was actually made in 1913.
Gift of Richard C. McKay
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.