Wood fragment from building in which the Declaration of Independence was signed
Wood, paper, string
Overall: 2 x 8 x 1 1/2 in. ( 5.1 x 20.3 x 3.8 cm )
Printed: on paper: "Until 1883, this piece of wood formed part of the house, S. W. Cor. Seventh and Market Streets, Philadelphia, in which, in 1776,/ The Declaration of Independence/ was written./ Presented by W. McK. Heath" handwritten: on paper: "412
Wood fragment with printed document attached with string.
According to a document attached to this wood fragment, it was part of the house in which the Declaration of Independence was written.
Gift of W. McKay Heath
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.