Wine glass fragment
Overall: 1 x 2 in. ( 2.5 x 5.1 cm )
handwritten: "189th St........camp/Ft. George"
Colorless glass foot with white spiral twist inside stem.
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp between 190th and 194th Streets and Audobon and Eleventh Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.