Window glass fragments (3) from St. Paul's Chapel
Overall (a): 1/8 × 3 1/8 × 2 1/2 in. (0.3 × 7.9 × 6.4 cm) Overall (b): 1/8 × 2 1/2 × 2 1/8 in. (0.3 × 6.4 × 5.4
ink inscription: on note adhering to (a): "From the original windows/of St. Paul's Chapel, Vesey/St. and Broadway, New/York, which were removed/in 1927" ink inscription: on note adhering to (b): "From the original windows/of St. Paul's Chapel, Vesey/St.
Three fragments of green-stained translucent glass from St. Paul's Chapel in New York City; remnants of paper around edges.
These window fragments are from St. Paul's Chapel, which was completed in 1766 at Broadway and Fulton Streets in New York City for Anglicans living beyond convenient walking distance from Trinity Church. The Chapel, which was used for a thanksgiving service for George Washington on 30 April 1789 after his inauguration as president, is the oldest public building in continuous use in Manhattan.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.