Overall: 6 1/2 x 5 3/4 in. ( 16.5 x 14.6 cm ) Silver Weight: 18 oz (troy) 16 dwt (584 g)
Wrought silver waste bowl; round bulbous body with an applied vertical band stamped with floral decoration around the base; on a splayed foot, set on a square base above four hairy claw and ball feet; sides of body flared to an applied, die-rolled basket-weave band; applied, convex shoulder above band, with applied molded and flared edge stamped with a horizontal die-rolled garland band; no maker's mark.
This waste bowl was part of a tea and coffee service paired with a pitcher assembled by the original owners, James (1751-1836) and Dolley Madison (1768-1849), and may have been one of two silver services regularly used at the family's Virginia estate, Montpelier, where the couple periodically lived after Madison's presidency. It is widely believed that Dolley Madison pawned the pitcher and service in 1848 to help relieve the debt of her son from her first marriage, John Payne Todd (1792-1852). The service was then acquired by James C. McGuire, Sr. (d. 1888), the executor of Todd's estate, and later donated to the N-YHS by his granddaughter.
Gift of Miss Mary Madison McGuire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.