View up Wall Street with City Hall [Federal Hall] and Trinity Church, New York City
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper
Overall: 8 1/2 x 11 1/4 in. ( 21.6 x 28.6 cm )
Inscribed at lower left in graphite: "by Robertson / Drawn in 1798"; former mount reputedly inscribed at lower center: "Old Town Hall, New York"
This is a view up Wall Street toward Trinity Church. New York's City Hall at the corner of Wall and Nassau streets was reconstructed in 1788-89 from plans prepard by Major Pierre Charles L'Enfant for the use of the new federal government. The Congress of the United States met here from March 1789 to August 1790, when the Federal capital was moved from New York to Philadelphia. The building was the first home of The New-York Historical Society, from 1804 to 1809.
Gift of Sophia Minton
David Grim, NYC; Sophia Minton, NYC
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.