View of Philipsen's Castle, Tarrytown, New York
Watercolor, black ink, selective glazing, and touches of gouache on heavy paper
Overall: 3 x 8 3/8 in. ( 7.6 x 21.3 cm ) mat: 3 1/4 x 8 5/8 in. ( 8.3 x 21.9 cm )
inscriptions: bottom, center: "Philipsen 's Castle" near Tarrytown, N.Y.
Inscribed at lower center outside image in black ink: "'PHILIPSEN'S CASTLE' near Tarrytown NY. 1860."
Architecture: Sneden's watercolor encompasses the view toward the house and mill from across the mill pond near the Albany Post Road.
Philipsburg Manor, Upper Mills, was a stone dwelling and mills erected by Frederick Philipse in the 1680s on the Pocantico River at what is now North Tarrytown, New York, on a ninety thousand acre manorial estate covering one third of the present Wetchester County. The Philpse estate was confiscated by the state of New York in 1779 because of the family's adherence to the British crown and was sold at auction in 1785.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.