View of the Northeast Corner of Wall and William Streets, New York City
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper
Overall: 8 5/8 x 11 1/4 in. ( 21.9 x 28.6 cm ) mat: 14 1/4 x 19 1/4 in. ( 36.2 x 48.9 cm )
inscription: lower center: "Two Banks & Insurance Office, Wall Street, New York" inscription: lower left: "by Robertson/Drawn in 1798"
Inscribed at lower left in graphite: "by Robertson / Drawn in 1798"; former mount reputedly inscribed at lower center: "Two Banks & Insurance Office, Wall Street, New York"
This is a view of the world-famous street in the days when it contained residences as well as business establishments. The three buildings depicted are the Bank of New York, the New York Insurance Company, and the Branch Bank of the United States. The Bank of New York, established in 1784, still occupies the same site at the corner of William Street and is the oldest bank in the city. Wall Street, at this time, was the social center of the city.
Gift of Sophia Minton
David Grim, NYC; Sophia Minton, NYC
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.