View of the North Battery, New York City; verso: profile sketch of male head
Watercolor over touches of graphite on heavy watercolor paper; graphite
Overall: 8 7/8 x 11 7/8 in. ( 22.5 x 30.2 cm )
inscription: upper left: "North Battery, N. York/ August 1813" label: "Messrs: Archd. & Alexr. Robertson:/Limners/at the Columbian/Academy of/Painting & Drawing/No. [blank]/New York"
Inscribed at upper left in brown ink: 'North Battery -- N York / August 1813"; verso inscribed at lower center in green watercolor: "North Battrery. N. York. / Augt. 1813"
The North Battery, also called the "Red Fort," was erected 1808-1810 in the Hudson River off the foot of Hubert Street in Greenwich Village, which was at that time an outlying suburb of New York. The fortification was one of a series erected at the same time to protect the city against an enemy attack. The fort was ceded by the United States to the city in 1831 and later was joined to the shore by landfill.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.