View of Mill Rock, East River, New York City

Object Number: 
1889.22
Date: 
1814
Medium: 
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite with scratching out on paper laid on heavier paper
Dimensions: 
22 3/4 x 30 7/8
Marks: 
inscription: lower center, ink: "View of the Mill Rock"
Inscriptions: 
Inscribed below image in brown ink: "View of the Mill Rock."
Description: 
Military
Gallery Label: 
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected at Hallett's Point on the Long Island shore, on Mill Rock in the East River, and a series of entrenchments, blockhouses and barrier gates were constructed across upper Manhattan Island. Construction of the American blockhouse on Mill Rock in the East River at Hell Gate commenced on July 15, 1814. It was later provided with a cannon.
Credit Line: 
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
Provenance: 
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group