View of Lake George from Fort George
Watercolor, graphite, and touches of black ink wash on paper
Overall: 10 x 14 in. ( 25.4 x 35.6 cm ) Mat: 14 x 18 in. ( 35.6 x 45.7 cm )
Inscribed at lower left in graphite: "Diamond Island / D Store house / & F. Stockaded fort"; at lower center: "Lake George. Ticonderoga"
A copy of the famous view of the Adirondacks published in UNIVERSAL MAGAZINE, London in 1759. That view was made by Capt.-Lt. Henry Skinner who brought the news of Amherst's victory against the French on Lake Champlain in July to England. This view was taken from the rise of land above the south shore of Lake George, looking north toward Ticonderoga, which is c. 35 miles away. The fort on the right is the bastion of Fort George, built in the summer of 1759 by Amherst's men before they headed north. To the left were the ruins of Fort William Henry destroyed by the French in 1757. By 1897, the location was occupied by the recently constructed Fort William Henry Hotel. The Universal Magazine of Knowledge and Pleasure, London, J. Hinton, vol. 25 (November 1759), opp. p. 265. From Nicholas Westbrook at Ticonderoga, 2009.
Gift of Daniel Parish, Jr.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.