View of the Junction of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers
Graphite on folded sheet
folded sheet: 13 x 7 7/8 in. ( 33 x 20 cm )
inscription: lower center, inside folded sheet: "View of the junction of the Potowmack[sic] & Shenandoah from the point of Junction, looking down the Potowmak. - / June 4th, 1795"
Inscribed along lower edge in graphite: "View of the Junction of the Potowmack & Shenandoah from the point of the Junction, looking down the Potowmack. -- / June 4th 1795. --"; various annotations
Harper's Ferry, originally in Virginia, was settled in 1734 by Robert Harper, who established a ferry across the Potomac. Around the Ferry grew a village named Shenandoah Falls, which was renamed Harpers Ferry when it was established by the Virginia assembly in 1763. In 1863 it became part of the new state of West Virginia. Strickland visited Harpers Ferry on Juen 4-5, 1795. This is the original study from which Strickland rendered a watercolor which is also in the Society's collection (1956.146).
Gift of Reverend J.E. Strickland
Descent through the artist's family; the Reverend J.E. Strickland, Gouray Lodge, Jersey, Channel Islands
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.