View of the East River from Fort Stevens, Long Island, New York
Watercolor, black ink, graphite, and touches of gouache on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.18)
Overall: 12 x 24 3/4 in. ( 30.5 x 62.9 cm )
inscription: lower center, ink: "Fort Stevens looking up the Sound"
Inscribed below image in brown ink: "Fort Stevens Looking up the Sound."; verso of heavier paper inscribed vertically at lower left in brown ink: "No. 16"
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected at Hallett's Point on the Long Island shore, on Mill Rock in the East River, and a series of entrenchments, blockhouses and barrier gates were constructed across upper Manhattan Island. The cornerstone of Fort Stevens was laid on July 14, 1814.
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.