View of Broadway, New York City: Study for Plate 44 in Kollner’s "Views of American Cities"
Brown ink and wash, watercolor, gouache, and graphite on light brown paper, laid on card
Overall: 7 13/16 x 11 1/4 in. (19.8 x 28.6 cm) mat: 14 1/4 x 19 1/4 in. ( 36.2 x 48.9 cm )
inscription: lower left: "Drawn from Nature by A. Kollner" inscription: center: "Broadway"
Inscribed and signed at lower left in brown ink: "Drawn from nature by A. Kollner."; at lower center: "Broad-Way."
This view of Broadway from the junction streets at the south end of City Hall Park shows at the right the Astor House, or Park Hotel, built in 1834; St. Paul's Chapel; and, in the distance, Trinity Church on Broadway at Wall Street. A sign indicates the daguerreotype studio of Mathew B. Brady at the corner of Broadway and Fulton Street, across from St. Paul's. The building at the left is Barnum's Museum at the corner of Broadway and Ann Street, the site which it occupied from 1830 to 1865.
Gift of Samuel Verplanck Hoffman
Edwin Babcock Holden, New York City; American Art Galleries, New York City, sale cat., April 21, 1910, no. 1935.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.