View of Broadway with Grace and Trinity Churches, New York City
Watercolor and black ink over on paper, laid on board and varnished
Overall: 25 1/4 x 35 1/4 x 1 1/2 in. ( 64.1 x 89.5 x 3.8 cm ) mat: 31 x 41 1/2 x 1 1/2 in. ( 78.7 x 105.4 x 3.8 cm
signature: lower right (monogram in railing): "W.S."
In this view of fashionable lower Broadway, the large house on the left was the residence of John R. Livingston until 1816. From 1817-to 1824 the United States Branch Bank occupied the house, and it then became a boardinghouse. Also depicted are Trinity Church and Grace Church.
Prior to its aquisition by the Society, this view was badly torn and mended and covered with a heavy coat of varnish.
Gift of Daniel Parish, Jr.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.