View of Broadway at Bowling Green with the Government House, New York City
Watercolor, brown and black ink, selective glazing, and graphite on paper, laid on oriental paper
Overall: 22 x 28 in. ( 55.9 x 71.1 cm ) mat: 22 x 28 in. ( 55.9 x 71.1 cm )
signature and date: lower right: "C. Milbourne Delnt/Et Excud./1797"
Signed and inscribed at lower right in black ink: "C. Milbourne, Delint-Et-Excud. / 1797"
This building was erected in 1790 as the intended residence of the President of the United States at the foot of Broadway opposite Bowling Green. After the removal of the seat of federal government to Philadelphia, the house was briefly used as the official residence of the governors of the state of New York. It became the Custom House in 1799, and served as the second home of The New-York Historical Society from 1809 until its demolition in 1815.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.