View of Battery Park with the Castle Garden Immigration Depot, New York City
Black ink, white lead pigment, and graphite on photo-sensitive paper, laid on card
Overall: 8 3/4 x 13 5/8 in. ( 22.2 x 34.6 cm ) mat: 14 3/4 x 17 3/8 in. ( 37.5 x 44.1 cm )
label: upper left: "BATTERY PARK and Castle Garden, seen from Battery Pl foot of West St"
Inscribed at lower center outside image in graphite: "--About 1885 --"; various publication annotations
This is a view south from Battery Place at the foot of West Street toward the park and New York Harbor. Castle Garden, seen in the center, was leased by the United States Immigration Department in 1855 and was fitted up as an immigration depot. Nearly two thirds of the immigrants who entered the United States between 1850 and 1890--7,690,606--were received at Castle Garden.
Gift of Samuel Verplanck Hoffman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.