View from Barhydt's Upper Piazza near Saratoga Springs House, Saratoga, New York
Graphite on paper mounted on dark brown paper
Overall: 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 in. ( 14 x 21.6 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
inscription: lower center, ink, on mount: "view from Barights [sic] upp. piazza near Saratoga Springs House/by J.H.B. Latrobe"
Inscribed on mount at lower center in black ink: "view from Baright's[sic] upp. piazza near Saratoga Springs House / by J.H.B. Latrobe"
Jacobus Barhydt (Barhyte) was Saratoga's first renowned lakeside proprietor. Coming from Albany in 1784, he settled in the Bear Swamp area adjacent to some small ponds which were later known as Barhydt's Lake. As Saratoga developed into a resort town, the renown of his trout dinners brought increasing numbers of guests to his humble home and occasioned the building of more commodious quarters in 1820.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.