Vegetable dishes with covers
each overall: 5 1/2 x 8 5/8 in. ( 14 x 21.9 cm )
engraved: on the sides: "RS" in roman letters in a rectangle, a lion passant in a rectangle, a crowned leopard's head in a shield and "q" in a shield
Pair of wrought silver vegetable dishes; deep, circular bodies with curved sides and applied beaded bands around the rims; two, cast, hinged bail handles applied to the opposite sides of the bodies; circular, stepped, domed covers with applied beaded bands around the edges and around the centers; covers surmounted by cast, cauliflower finials; each engraved with the Lenox family crest on the covers and the bowls, a crowned lion passant on fess; maker's marks stamped on the sides.
These vegetable dishes were part of an elaborate silver dinner service of twenty-two matching platters, plates, and dishes, along with an assortment of French, English, and American forks, spoons, and knives, assembled by Robert Lenox (1759-1839), a prominent New York shipping merchant and real estate investor. A silver service of this size was impressive by American standards, and Lenox's purchase probably stood out among those of his peers. As a successful shipping merchant, Lenox had frequent contact with English agents, and could easily have arranged the purchase of the service. As evidenced by the varying date letters, the service was probably not a special order but gathered from stock or acquired over a period of time.
Bequest of Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr.; The Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr. Collection
Robert Lenox (1759-1839), who married Rachel Carmer (1763-1843); probable descent, to their daughter Rachel Carmer Lenox (b. 1792), who married David Sproat Kennedy (1791-1853); to their son James Lenox Kennedy (1823-1864), who married Cornelia Van Rensselaer (1836-1864); to their son Henry Van Rensselaer Kennedy (1863-1912), who married Marian Robbins (1862-1946); to their daughter Rachel Lenox Kennedy Porter (1887-1962), who married (2nd) Graeme Donald (1884-1928); consigned by Mrs. Graeme Donald to Robert Ensko Inc., New York City; purchased in 1937 by Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr., the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.