Vegetable dish and stand
Overall: 5 5/8 x 10 x 8 1/8 in. ( 14.3 x 25.4 x 20.6 cm )
engraved: on the dome of the cover: "Murray 1766./ Ledyard 1881" in script engraved: on the base: "Murray 1766 to 1881./ Lizzie V. Ledyard./ The Oaks. Cazenovia./ 1881" in script stamped: on the base of the dish: "A" crowned, a crowned cross over "J * N
Wrought silver Louis XVI vegetable dish, cover and stand; deep, bowl-shaped body with an applied, molded band around the rim; two cast foliate loop handles with the joints in the form of leaves, applied to opposite sides of the body; cylindrical handle socket with a shield shaped joint and threaded interior below one of the cast handles; hallmarks stamped on the rim and base; circular, stepped and domed cover with an applied reeded rim; cast pineapple and leaf finial screwed through the center of the dome; engraved on the dome, "Murray 1766./ Ledyard 1881" in script; circular, plate-shaped stand with a circular depression in the center, raised sides and an applied, molded rim; engraved on the base, "Murray 1766 to 1881./ Lizzie V. Ledyard./ The Oaks. Cazenovia./ 1881" in script; hallmarks stamped on the rim and base. Missing turned wooden handle.
This vegetable dish and stand may have been owned by New York merchant John Murray (1737-1808), whose estate encompassed today's Manhattan neighborhood, Murray Hill.
Gift of the Estate of Mrs. J. H. Ten Eyck Burr, through Mrs. Walter Oakman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.