Overall: 2 1/2 x 10 x 8 1/2 in. ( 6.4 x 25.4 x 21.6 cm )
written: on jelly label on underside of dish: "West Point Military Academy"
Molded pearlware vegetable dish with dark blue transfer print of West Point Military Academy; dish has scalloped rim, shell border, and central image of the Hudson River with the academy buildings in the left distance; landscape and two figures in foreground. Exterior sides of dish with transfer print of pastoral river scene. (Larsen, 3rd ed., no. 40)
Based on the 1831 engraving, "West Point from Phillipstown," after a painting by W.J. Bennett, this view shows West Point Military Academy, fifty miles north of New York City. West Point Military Academy was founded by an Act of Congress in 1802. This view depicts the earliest buildings, which were replaced after 1902.
Gift of Mrs. J. Insley Blair
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.