Vechte-Cortelyou House, Gowanus, Brooklyn, New York; verso: sketches of foliage and buildings
Graphite on paper
Overall: 6 1/8 x 9 3/4 in. ( 15.6 x 24.8 cm ) mat: 10 x 14 in. ( 25.4 x 35.6 cm )
inscription: lower:"Original drawing of the Cortelyou House by Fanny Palmer Dec 9/99 25.00"
Inscribed along lower edge in graphite: "original drawing of the Cortelyou House by Fanny Palmer Dec 9/99 25.00"; various annotations for lithographer
Erected in 1699 near what is now Fifth Avenue and Third Street, Brooklyn, this structure was long known as "The Old Stone House at Gowanus." Heavy fighting took place in the nearby fields and around the huse during the Battle of Long Island, August 27, 1776. It stood in a ruined state until the later years of the nineteenth century, when the remains were buried beneath landfill. In the 1930s a reproduction of the building, using stones from the original building, was erected in a nearby park.
Gift of Daniel Parish, Jr.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.