Van Alstyne House, Canajoharie, New York
Black ink and wash, graphite, and touches of white gouache on board
Overall: 11 1/8 x 14 3/8 in. ( 28.3 x 36.5 cm )
signature: lower right: "W. L. HUDSON" inscription: lower left: "Fort Rensselaer / Canajoharie N.Y." stamped: on back: "W. L. HUDSON / STUDIO, / 70 FIFTH AVE., N.Y." inscriptions: on back: "Reduce to 4 15/16 x 3 1/2 inches / for Robert Bonners [?] / Du
Signed in gray wash at lower right: 'W.L. HUDSON."; inscribed at lower left in black ink: "Fort Rensselaer / Canajoharie N.Y."; verso has various publishing instructions and stamp of the artist with studio address (70 Fifth Avenue)
This stone house, erected in 1794 by Marte Janse Van Alstyne, was the scene of meetings of the Tryon County Committee of Safety in 1774 and 1775. Located on Moyer Street, it is now the Fort Rensselaer Club. This sketch was drawn for publication.
Gift of Emil Herman Sauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.