Two Views of the West Side of Broadway at Cortlandt Street, New York City
Watercolor, graphite, and black ink on paper
Overall: 11 1/8 x 9 7/8 in. ( 28.3 x 25.1 cm )
inscription: lower center: "Broadway and Courtlandt [sic] St./1848"
Inscribed below upper image in black ink: "169 171 CORTLANDT ST. 173 175 175 179"; below at left: "'BOGERT THE BAKER'. 1785. / SITE OF THE GILSEY BUILDING."; at center: "BROADWAY AND CORTLANDT ST. / 1848."; at right: "'ON THE UPPER CORNER WAS THE SHOP OF MANASSEH SLATER, FAMOUS IN HIS DAY AS IS NOW THE / PALLADIAN BAZAR OF ALEXANDER STEWART' / DUER'S 'OLD YORKER.'". Below lower image in black ink: "167 169 171 173 175 / BROADWAWAY AND CORTLANDT ST."
These buildings are nos. 169 to 179 on Broadway, on the north and south sides of Cortlandt Street. A second illustration on the same sheet depicts the same site later in the nineteenth centry, with later buildings replacing the structures of 1848.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.