Tomb of Captain James Lawrence (1781-1813), Trinity Churchyard, New York City
Black and wash, graphite, and white gouache on paper
Overall: 6 1/4 x 6 7/8 in. ( 15.9 x 17.5 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
signature and date: lower left: "A.H. 1872" inscription: lower, pencil: "Lawrence's Tomb"
Signed and inscribed at lower left inside image in gray wash: "A.H. 1872."; below outside image in graphite: "Lawrence's Tomb."
This monument was erected in 1847 in Trinity Churchyard, New York City, in memory of Captain James Lawrence (1781-1813). The original monument was a symbolic broken column on a square base, which was removed after it became weatherbeaten and dilapidated. Two slabs from the base were presented to The New-York Historical Socieity by the Vestry of Trinity Church. A print of the first monument, drawn and engraved by Charles P. Harrison (q.v.) is in the Society's Print Room.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.