Tobacco pipe stem excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 1/4 x 3/4 in. ( 5.7 x 1.9 cm )
Stone tobacco pipe stem excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; cylindrical and hollow stem that narrows at mouth; brown-colored stone; black around mouth.
This pipe was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, in Hut E on Payson Avenue at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, which extended between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th Street, in Washington Heights. The pipe was found inside of a hut built in 1776 by British soldiers on land that was once used as a campsite by Native Americans. Tobacco pipes could be sacred to Native Americans but were also made for trade with Europeans, especially soldiers. While this pipe was made by a Native American, it was not necessarily used by one.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.