each (average size): 5 1/8 x 5 1/8 x 1/4 in. (13 x 13 x 0.6 cm)
Set of 23 tin-glazed earthenware tiles with painted decoration; one set consists of 13 tiles with manganese arabesqe decorations (a-m); one set consists of 7 blue and white biblical tiles with scenes from the Old and New Testaments (p-u); with 2 miscellaneous tiles (n-o); many of the tiles are broken, are missing pieces, and have been restored and infilled.
According to a label on the box in which these tiles were found, they comes from the William Walton House, at 326 Pearl (formerly Queen) Street, NYC, erected in 1752 and demolished in 1881. These tiles were given to the N-YHS in 1881 or 1882.
Gift of George W. W. Houghton
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.