Overall: 5 1/8 x 5 1/8 x 1/4 in. ( 13 x 13 x 0.6 cm )
Set of eighteen tin-glazed earthenware tile with painted blue and white decoration; buff-colored body with white glaze; circular rondel with biblical scenes from the Old and New Testament; ox-head corner motifs; many of the tiles are broken.
These tiles are from a fireplace in the Beekman Mansion (possibly the nursery room) at First Avenue and 51st Street, built by James Beekman in 1763. They were removed and incorporated in a settle (bench) when the structure was torn down in 1874.
Permanent Loan from the Beekman Family Association
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.