Overall: 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 x 1/2 in. ( 10.8 x 10.8 x 1.3 cm )
impressed: on reverse; "Maw & Co./ Benthall/ Broseley"
Encaustic gothic revival tile with red clay body inlaid with cream, white, and blue slip; cream stylized fleur-de-lis corner motifs, circular frame composed of cream, white, and cream bands contain cream and white quatrefoil on blue ground; reverse side has circular impressions (intended to create rough surface for installation) and impressed maker's mark.
This tile was orignially installed in the club house of the American Jockey Club located in Jerome Park, Kingsbridge in the northwestern Bronx. The club house was built in 1866 and demolished in 1898.
Gift of George W. Nash
The George W. Nash Collection of Ulster County, New York Household Artifacts
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.