The Three Buildings of the John Street Methodist Church, New York City, (1768-1841): Study for a Lithograph

Object Number: 
X.387
Date: 
1844
Medium: 
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper, laid on board, over-matted
Dimensions: 
Overall: 16 1/4 x 39 1/8 in. (41.3 x 99.4 cm) mat: 23 x 48 x 1 1/2 in. ( 58.4 x 121.9 x 3.8 cm )
Marks: 
signature: lower right: "J.B. Smith" inscription: lower center: "Respectfully inscribed to the Trustees and Members of the/First Methodist Episocpal Church in John Street N. York"
Inscriptions: 
Signed at middle right outside image in black ink: "J.B. Smith."; at lower center: "Respectfully inscribed to the Trustees and Members of the/First Methodist Episocpal Church in John Street N. York"; copious additional inscriptions, some in etiquettes
Description: 
Architecture: This view shows the three buildings of the John Street Methodist Church. A separate building at the bottom center is inscribed: "The Old Rigging Loft as it now /stands 120 William Street. 1844--/formerly Cart and Horse-Street". Each of the three buildings is separately identified, and the names of the "old" Board of Trustees and the Trustees of 1844 are included.
Gallery Label: 
This is evidently the original drawing, with the buildings rearranged, from which a lithograph (19 1/8 x 27 1/4 in.) in colors was made in 1844 by Endicott, 22 John Street, New York (copy in Print Room, New-York Historical Society). The first church shown here was erected in 1768; the second was rebuilt in 1817 and later taken down to widen the street; and the third building was rebuilt in 1841.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group