Thimbles (2) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
overall: 5/8 in. (diam.)
Brass thimbles excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan.
These thimbles were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. They were stored as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue. They possibly belonged to tailors.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.