Temporary Washington Arch, New York City
Black ink, black crayon, collage, graphite, and white gouache on paper laid on card laid on board
Overall: 18 3/8 x 15 1/8 in. ( 46.7 x 38.4 cm )
signature: lower right: "S.V.L. Hoppin, DEL"
Signed and inscribed at lower right in black ink: "S. V. L. HOPPIN, DEL."
Designed by Stanford White (1853-1906) and financed by private subscription initiated by a committee organized by William Rhinelander Stewart (1852-1929), this temporary Washington Memorial Arch was erected across lower Fifth Avenue just north of Washington Square on April 28, 1889, for the centennial celebration commemorating George Washington's inauguration as first president of the United States. The artist was then a draughtsman and this rendering was sketched by him under White's direction.
Gift of Mr. William Stewart Rhinelander Stewart
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.