Expanded Hours

We're now open Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination is required. Learn more >

Temple (loom accessory)

Object Number: 
Z.971
Date: 
1800-1850
Medium: 
Wood, metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5/8 x 28 3/4 x 2 1/8 in. ( 1.6 x 73 x 5.4 cm )
Description: 
Wooden temple (loom accessory) consisting of two long, flat pieces of wood joined with screw and nut; one piece of wood with long groove cut down center, and the other in the form of a "tongue" that fits into the groove of the other; numerous holes drilled through tongue allow adjustment of width; three nails project from the end of each piece.
Gallery Label: 
Temples were used to maintain a constant width of material during the weaving process. The nails at either end held the cloth at the preset width.
Credit Line: 
Gift of George W. Nash
Provenance: 
The George W. Nash Collection of Ulster County, New York Household Artifacts
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group