Teapot

Object Number: 
1950.357
Date: 
ca. 1791
Medium: 
Silver, wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 7/8 x 11 1/8 x 4 in. ( 17.5 x 28.3 x 10.2 cm ) Silver Weight with wood: 19 oz (troy) 1 dwt (593 g)
Marks: 
engraved: in shield reserve: "E C" stamped: on base: "V V. & S." in a rectangle besides an eagle with a shield over its breast in a diamond
Description: 
Seamed silver teapot; octagonal body with straight sides seamed under the handle; cast, applied, beaded base band and shoulder band; slightly angled flat shoulder and top; hinged, inset, octagonal lid incurved to an applied beaded band and a small raised oval dome with a cast pineapple finial screwed through the center; bands of bright-cut circles and floral motifs above the base and below the shoulder; waved band engraved along the edges of the flat top and around the oval dome of the lid; engraved circles in two rows around the flat top; straight, seamed and tapered spout with bright-cut bell flower motifs on each side; cylindrical handle sockets fitted with a wooden c-scroll handle; bright-cut shield reserves surrounded by floral garlands on the two large sides of the teapot, one engraved with the initials "E C" in bright-cut script, the other blank; bright cut ovals suspended from bow knots in the small panels on either side of the larger panels; makers' marks on the base.
Gallery Label: 
The two crisp marks struck on the underside of this teapot are identified with the New York City partnership of Daniel Van Voorhis and Garret Schanck. The additional four faint notches, however, are traces of hallmarks that indicate the teapot was made in England, probably for the lucrative American export market. Together, the marks offer a fascinating example of the intricate chains of exchange that propelled the transatlantic luxury trade in the United States during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Quantitative alloy analysis confirms that the teapot was made from a sterling silver alloy consistent with English manufacture prior to 1850.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Sr.; Collection of Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr.
Provenance: 
Possible descent: Matthew Clarkson (1758-1825), who married (2nd) Sarah (Sally) Cornell (1762-1803); possibly through family of their daughter Susan Maria (1800-1823), who married James Ferguson De Peyster (1794-1874); purchased in 1947 by Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr. (1899-1949), from James Graham & Sons, Inc., New York; to his mother, Mrs. Waldron (Rey Hutchings) Phoenix Belknap, Sr. (1874-1959).
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group