Overall: 5 x 6 3/4 x 3 7/8 in. ( 12.7 x 17.1 x 9.8 cm )
Wrought silver tête-à-tête teapot; globular body set in a beaded ring stand which is applied to s-curves which attach to the four legs; four straight legs with ball and claw feet are joined to the center of the body by four chased lions' heads in ovals; hinged, inset dome lid with a ball finial; lid engraved bell flower and swag bands and the initials, "J. W. de P." in gothic script above the spout; short s-curve spout, cast in vertical halves; acanthus decorated handle sockets fitted with ivory insulator and a silver loop handle with acanthus thumbpiece and reeding; body engraved with four cartouches, with lion head joints in the center, and five pointed stars between; maker's marks on the base.
Given by General John Watts de Peyster (1821-1907), whose initials it bears, to his sister-in-law Mrs. Louis Livingston.
Gift of Mrs. Estelle de Peyster Hosmer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.