Expanded Hours

We're now open Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination is required. Learn more >

Tea bowl (12) excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp

Object Number: 
1947.534a-l
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 5/8 x 3 3/4 in. ( 6.7 x 9.5 cm )
Description: 
Earthenware tea bowl; creamware with sprigged flowers.
Gallery Label: 
This tea bowl was excavated in 1913 by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp on the Dyckman farm, at 204th Street between Seaman and Payson Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The tea bowl may have been owned by a soldier, a member of a soldier's family, or a camp follower.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group