Tankard

Object Number: 
1951.377
Date: 
ca. 1732
Medium: 
Silver
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7 x 5 x 7 1/8 in. ( 17.8 x 12.7 x 18.1 cm ) Part (lip): 4 1/4 in. (10.8 cm) Part (base): 5 in. (12.7 cm) S
Marks: 
Inscriptions: H/E*E Description: Initials "H/E*E" engraved in block letters on handle beneath drop. Presumed to relate to Elbert and Elizabeth (Bogart) Haring, who apparently received tankard as a wedding gift in 1732. Maker's mark: B Description: Mak
Description: 
Wrought silver tankard; circular body with straight sides tapered from applied, molded, baseband to an applied, molded, flared lip; stepped, flat cover; scrolled thumbpiece and molded hinge-plate with a broad molded drop and a small bead drop; scroll handle with an oval disk terminal; "H/ E * E" engraved on the handle in block letters; maker's mark stamped below rim, on the right of the handle.
Gallery Label: 
This relatively plain vessel represents the basic, stripped-down model of the mid-eighteenth-century New York tankard, devoid of the ornament that clients often requested from New York silversmiths. The tankard may have been a wedding gift for Elbert Haring (1706-1773) and his wife, Elizabeth Bogert. Haring's wealth and status, suggested by his ownership of this substantial tankard, is underscored by the estate inventory taken after his death in 1773. This tankard, undoubtedly one of two listed in the inventory, was bequeathed by Haring, along with the rest of his "wrought plate," to his wife Elizabeth, who outlived her husband by fourteen years.
Credit Line: 
The Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr. Collection
Provenance: 
Elbert Haring (1706-1773), who married (2nd) Elizabeth Bogert (1714-1787); to their daughter Elizabeth Haring (1743-1821), who married John De Peyster (1731-1807); to their daughter Elizabeth Schuyler De Peyster (1772-1858), who married Uriah O. Champlin (1772-1838); to their son Christopher Champlin (b. 1821), who married Louisa H. Barker (1845-1881); to their nephew Evan B. Thomas (1881-1966); purchased by Francis P. Garvan through the Anderson Galleries, New York, 1924; donated by Garvan to Yale University Art Gallery, 1930; sold by Yale University Art Gallery in 1951 to Mrs. Waldron Phoenix Belknap, the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group