This tack was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Ticonderoga, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and called Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys under Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne's army in June, 1777.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024