Sword w/scabbard: wilderness...Appomattox C.H.
Steel, brass, leather; steel
Overall: 42 3/8 x 5 x 4 1/4 in. ( 107.6 x 12.7 x 10.8 cm )
stamped: on obverse of blade near hilt: "U. S. / A K / 186[. . . ?]" stamped: on reverse of blade near hilt: "AMES MF. . . / CHICOP. . . / MASS" engraved: on tip of counter-guard: "Fordham Morris" engraved: on scabbard, between carrying rings: "Wilder
Saber with curved, single-edged steel blade with fuller extending from ricasso to within about 7 inches of point; brass half-basket hilt with two sweeping branches joining oval counter-guard on obverse side; grip covered in leather and wrapped with twisted wire; helmet-shaped pommel without surface decoration; steel scabbard with two carrying rings and slightly asymmetrical drag; inscriptions engraved between carrying rings on obverse of scabbard.
Sabers of this type were used by enlisted men in the U.S. Cavalry from 1840 until the second decade of the twentieth century (see "The American Sword, 1775-1945," p. 32). This particular saber belonged to Lieutenant Fordham Morris (1842-1909), the donor's father. According to the accession records, Lieutenant Morris served in the 5th Army Corps, Artillery Brigade, in the Civil War.
Gift of Mrs. R. Horace Gallatin
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.