Steel, brass, fish skin; leather, brass
Overall: 37 x 5 1/2 x 3 in. ( 94 x 14 x 7.6 cm )
etched: on obverse of blade below hilt: "W. H. / Horstmann / & Sons / PHILADELPHIA" etched: on reverse of blade: "U.S."
Sword with slightly curved, single-edged steel blade with three-quarter length fuller and etched eagle insignia framed by scroll design on obverse and initials "U.S." framed by similar design on reverse; brass half-basket hilt with openwork scroll motif on obverse side; grip covered in fish skin and wrapped with wire; helmet-shaped pommel with leaf border centering a flower; leather scabbard with two brass carrying rings and asymmetrical drag.
This sword is referred to as a U.S. foot officer's sword in the accession records, an identification based on an illustration in Smithsonian Institution Bulletin No. 163 (p. 53). A tag once attached to the sword indicated that it belonged to Captain Elisha Van Brunt, who served in the War of 1812 and was stationed at the fort at the Battery in New York City.
Bequest of Mrs. Mary Van Brunt Williams, through Mrs. George Van Buskirk
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.