Sword, scabbard and tassel
Steel, brass, fish skin, textile; leather, brass
Overall: 36 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 3 in. ( 92.1 x 13.3 x 7.6 cm )
Sword with slightly curved, single-edged steel blade with false edge and broad fuller; half-basket brass guard with floral openwork on obverse side and quillon with scroll finial; grip covered in fish skin and wrapped with wire (now mostly missing); Phrygian helmet-shaped brass pommel with leaf border centering a flower; fragment of textile attached to knuckle-bow; leather scabbard with two large brass carrying rings (tip missing).
According to the accession records, this sword belonged to Capt. Emerson Seymour Northup of Company K, 34th New York State Volunteer Infantry Regiment (known as the "Herkimer Regiment"), which was mustered in at Albany on June 15, 1861, under Colonel William La Dew. The records indicate that this sword was made by the Ames Manufacturing Co. of Chicopee, Mass., but there are no marks on the sword to confirm this.
Gift of Miss Ella C. Northup
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.