Expanded Hours

We're now open Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required for visitors ages 12 and up. Learn more >

Sword guard excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp

Object Number: 
1947.594
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 4 7/8 x 4 1/8 in. ( 12.4 x 10.5 cm )
Description: 
Iron sword guard; knuckle bow with two branches and counterguard.
Gallery Label: 
This sword guard was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at a military camp on the Dyckman farm, at 204th Street between Seaman and Payson Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The sword was owned by a British officer.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group