Sword guard excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp
Overall: 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 in. ( 11.4 x 7 cm )
label: labeled on sword guard: "Revolutionary War/camp of.../17th British/Prescott Avenue/.....19"
This sword guard was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at a military camp on the Dyckman farm, at 204th Street between Seaman and Payson Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The sword was owned by a British officer.
Gift of Ms. Dorothy C. Barck
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.