Sword guard excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 4 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 in. ( 10.8 x 3.8 x 0.3 cm )
Brass sword guard excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; arched knuckle bow decorated with human figure on both sides.
This sword guard was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. All Hessian infantry privates were allowed to carry swords, although among enlisted men in the British infantry, only grenadiers and sergeants could carry them. Most British and Hessian officers also carried swords.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.