Sword blade fragment excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 7/8 x 5/8 in. ( 7.3 x 1.6 cm )
Iron sword blade fragment excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; double-edged blade.
This blade was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. The sword belonged to a British officer, grenadier, or sergeant, or to a Hessian soldier.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.