Sword blade excavated at a British and Hessian Revolutionary War fort and camp

Object Number: 
INV.6318.95
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 8 x 1 in. ( 20.3 x 2.5 cm )
Description: 
Iron sword blade excavated at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, along Audubon and Eleventh Avenues and between 190th and 194th Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan.
Gallery Label: 
This sword blade was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee on 190th St. and Audubon Ave., at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. It was housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics ( case 3, No. 215) in the Jumel Mansion, on 160th Street and Edgecomb Ave. It probably belonged to a British or Hessian officer.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group