Sword and scabbard
Steel, brass, mother of pearl, gilding; leather, brass, gilding
Overall: 35 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 1 3/4 in. ( 90.2 x 10.8 x 4.4 cm )
Dress sword with straight, single-edged steel blade with a single fuller extending from ricasso to within 6 inches of point; metal parts of hilt are gilded brass, and grips, which are faced with mother of pearl plaques, have a beaded ferrule at the base and beaded strips of metal on either side; nearly circular counter-guard (on obverse side only) is angled downward over surface of blade and is mounted with two-headed eagle insignia; molded knuckle-bow in the form of an oak branch intertwined with a serpent with head facing lion's head pommel; black leather scabbard with gilded brass mounts decorated with embossed scroll motifs at throat and tip, the former with ornamental frog stud.
According to the accession records, this sword belonged to the donor's grandfather, Chevalier Charles Frederick de Loosey, who served as Austrian-Hungarian Counsel General in New York from 1850 to 1870. Other parts of de Looser's court uniform are also in the N-YHS Collection.
Gift of Henry O. Havemeyer, Esquire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.